I have been practicing ‘how to follow crochet patterns’, with some of the Samoyed dog hair I spun for my neighbour’s parents. They’ve asked for a rose, snowman, heart and snowflakes.
I started with a rose pattern from Ravelry and it was turning into a huge rose, so I ripped that out and made a smaller one, using the Basic Rose pattern by June Gilbank. This worked out much better and the rose is just 5cm/2″ across.
I then started on the Snowman Friends pattern by Rupinder Kaur. Once I’d done the head I worried it would be very big, so I turned the head into the body and made a smaller head. He is softly stuffed with some unspun dog hair.
For his scarf, I had a handspun Corriedale single in my stash that was too short to bother plying, so I crocheted it (double crochet/US term…I’m only learning US terms as they make more sense than UK terms.) For his nose I’ve just used some orange fibre from my stash. It isn’t felted or stuck on yet so he looks a bit odd. I’m not sure about his mouth yet.
I then made a snowflake. It was very curly so I’m blocking it and will see if that sorts it. I perhaps should have gone up a needle size? I’m too new to crochet to really understand issues.
I’m impatient to start the Havana Afghan but won’t be until next year when I can justify buying lots of yarn for it. So instead I’m making a miniature version to be a notebook cover! I’m also testing how I like it with one main colour and different accent colours. I’ll then make another sample with different colours. I like both types I’ve seen on Ravelry and the designer’s Facebook gallery. This is some free acrylic yarn I was given.
On Thursday I did a detailed post with much better photos of Reyna. I love it now it’s blocked.
On Technique Tuesday. I watched some tutorials on helical knitting, jogless stripes and mosaic knitting, but haven’t practiced them yet.
With more of the Samoyed yarn, I knit a heart shape using the Don’t Break My Heart by One Lone Tree pattern and I added a loop for hanging. It is stuffed with some of the unspun dog hair. This pattern used Judy’s magic cast on and this is the first time I’ve got it right.😀
I also cast on a pair of Rose City Roller socks for myself (well they’ll have a Hermione’s everyday sock heel and toe, but have a rolled cuff). I did a few rows with some dark blue and then switched to the gorgeous bluebell time of year yarn, my plan is to also do the blue on the heel and toe as well, so my first pair with contrasting heel, toe and cuff. But as you can see I’ve barely done anything and these are using leftovers from other socks.
My Winnie the Pooh fat corner packs arrived from Aldi. I’m impressed at the quality considering they were a good price. I’ve ordered a kit to make some beeswax wraps and will use the others to make some items, so once they’ve been turned into something I’ll photograph them.
The fibre I won during TDF arrived from Laura (from The Corner of Knit & Tea podcast). It is super fine merino from Three Waters Farm. I may felt it, rather than spin it…or maybe do a fractal spin…we shall see!
Ravelry are holding a Tour de Fleece part 2, when the postponed TDF is actually happening this month. I am only joining the dog hair spinning team this time, as I would like to spin some of my own dog’s hair and want to make a heart and perhaps some other things. I think it’s a nice way of having something physical to remember them by.
I have started a secret project on my 10″ loom and will be warping my 32″ loom this week. So it is going to be secret squirrels for a while. I’ve been experimenting with the design a bit, so if it isn’t a success I’ll keep it.
A day and a half this week was spent on Guild matters including a committee meeting via Zoom. We also had 2 days where it was actually dry and summer weather!! So I did some weeding and deadheading flowers. During July it was cold, grey and damp (literally jumper and hat weather some days!) so it was nice to have 20⁰C and some sunshine for a change. It is supposed to stay warm for a few days!
I’m very annoyed at myself, yesterday afternoon I was trimming the cucumber leaves from around the bottom and accidentally cut through the main stem….arrggghhhh!
This is the Year of Projects Group’s 10th year, but my 3rd year participating. The details for the Year of Projects Group are on Ravelry*. Once there, please click on the latest weekly folder and follow the links to the members’ blog posts for that week. The YOP year runs from July to June and posts are shared on Sundays (usually).
*Some people have experienced some visual problems with the new Ravelry style, so if you are prone to problems then I recommend changing to Classic Ravelry view.