This week I’ve continued knitting Reyna.
The inconsistency of this homespun yarn is pretty obvious whilst I am knitting it; some areas it’s lace weight and others almost chunky! Look at the 2 circled areas below!! This is what happens when you work on a spinning project and don’t make notes or sample cards and that project goes on for 12 months!
I started spinning it at last year’s Tour de Fleece (TDF) and the 3rd skein for it was spun recently during this year’s TDF! Hopefully with it having 50% silk it won’t struggle to hold its own weight at the points where it is like lace. I do still have more of this fibre to spin, so I could go bigger than the pattern suggests, or do a fancy bind off edge, we shall see. It should definitely be finished this week.
**Okay this post was scheduled to post and on Saturday evening I noticed an error and I’ll need to go back I think 6 or 8 rows of the lace because on one side my lace has a misalignment. It is more obvious than the photo may suggest. So I’ve added a line for you to clearly see arrgghhh!
My new swift, I bought last month with my birthday money, got some use as I caked up handspun to finish Reyna and 5 skeins of Baa Ram Ewe Dovestone DK yarn in the colour Goathland (a shade of dusty reddish purple).
I plan to make Fine Sand cardigan out of. This will be my 4th pattern by Heidi Kirrmaier, which is exactly like her Quick Sand pattern, but for DK yarn instead of Aran weight. I will knit up a swatch and hopefully make a start on that this week.
I made another face mask, this one is for keeping in the car in case we happen to go out and forget to take one. It’s the same material but the pleated style, not my preference, but definitely easier to cut out. I’ve not taken it out of the car to photograph, as knowing me I’ll forget to put it back in and won’t have it when we need it!
My sewing skills are so poor, I need to spend some time working out how to use my machine as all the masks have thread barfs in places. I haven’t worked out how to fix the tension and whilst the top side looks fine the underside is a mess of chewed threads.
I finished spinning and plying all the purple baby camel and silk (3 ply Aran weight).
I also spun up some Samoyed dog hair (3 ply) on my wheel. It was going to take forever doing it on my supported spindle. I feel so bad as this fibre was sitting around waiting for me to do something with it for 23 months and I found out unfortunately the dog it is from died in February. I have offered to knit or crochet something for the owner, I just wish I’d not procrastinated about it for so long. I shared my results with the dog hair spinning TDF group, which I’d forgotten I’d also signed up to. So this year I’m actually on 3 teams.
Whilst I was wet setting the Samoyed yarn I thought I’d finally get around to setting the 3 yarns I spun last October during BritSpin. The wet wool smell helped to mask the wet dog smell. Considering how many times I have washed the dog fibre and now the yarn, even with dog shampoo, there just is no getting away from the dog smell. It makes me realise my own house must absolutely whiff of our dog.
TDF ends this evening, so I’ll do a wrap up post of what I completed. Less than I’d hoped, ah well.
You know how I’m always complaining about how small my loom is? It’s a 10” Sampleit…well I have bought a 2nd hand 32” one with stand!
The lady I am buying it from has arranged for it to be collected on Monday by the courier and it should hopefully arrive Wednesday and then I’ll need to assemble it! I won’t be starting off using its full width, I’ll just start with some tea towels in worsted weight cotton that are a decent width, and go from there.
The Sampleit I will keep, as it is ideal for sampling and is portable for Guild meetings …once they start back up.
I did another reorganisation of the study/craft room to make room for my new loom. It looks much better and cutting the bookcase in half made a huge difference, I just need to hang the pictures leaning against the wall. That’s where my new loom will fit. Some Minions have moved into our bedroom and living room, as they wouldn’t all fit!
It’s my husband’s birthday today, so time to eat more cake! I ordered a cake from Ems & Co. for him, I could have baked one but that is supporting the conglomerate supermarket for ingredients rather than an independent bakery business…that’s my excuse anyway. 😉
Tomorrow my friend Steph and I are booked to go to Highland Wildlife Park. This is very exciting. I haven’t seen her since 29th February! We both stuck to the rules during lockdown and the Highlands have gone 6 days with no fresh positive cases. The Park has put lots of safety measures in place and I’m taking a picnic with me. I hope the weather will be dry.
This is a Year of Projects post. Officially the Group is in its 10th year, but this is my 3rd year participating. To avoid confusion I am labelling my posts as YOP10. If you would like to find more about the Year of Projects Group on Ravelry* or you’d like to join in, please follow the link for details. To read what other members of the YOP Group have been getting up to please click on the latest weekly folder and follow the links to their blog posts. This is a friendly group with a wide mix of skills and crafting interests. The YOP year runs from July to June.
*Some people have experienced some visual problems caused by the new Ravelry style, so if you are prone to problems then I recommend changing to Classic Ravelry View.