Karen at Nothing But Knit blog has done a new quiz, this time about socks.
1. Do you knit/crochet socks?
2. If yes, how long have you been making them? If no, why not?
3. What is your preferred method? Top down, toe up? Which needles? Do you have a preferred heel type?
4. Have you gifted socks? Were they worn, loved and appreciated?
5. Could you make nothing but socks for the rest of your life and be happy?
6. One of the most addictive things about sock knitting is the amazing selection of fingering weight yarn that is available. What is your favorite yarn for socks? Do you prefer solid or multicolor yarn? Do you have a fiber preference?
1. I knit socks.
2. I made my first pair 18 months ago and have made 9 pairs.
3. Every pair so far have been top down, 2mm needles (I think that’s US 0). I do heel flap and gusset from Hermione’s Everyday Socks pattern.
4. I made my dad a pair and he was thrilled to bits. My husband didn’t wear his hardly the first winter he had them, not appreciate enough for me to make him a 2nd pair 😂
5. I like to always have a pair on the go, but need other projects and bigger needle projects to rest my hands.
6. I prefer than indie dyed yarn than the commercial ones. Ripples Crafts reliable sock yarn is my favourite and always in beautiful colours. I like multicolour tones and merino/nylon mix.
If you are a knitter but haven’t been brave enough to give them a go then I highly recommend the free pattern on Ravelry called Hermione’s Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder. A very easy pattern and well written.