I have been recording the series ‘Hoarders – Buried Alive’ and watching an episode each morning over breakfast. I started off watching it because it made me feel like in comparison I am tidy and organised and not a hoarder. Despite the size and eclectic nature of my crafting stash…everything has a place in a drawer or cupboard or bookcase…so its not piles everywhere.
However, what I have realised is there’s a common theme with many of the people who hoard…
- They have always been collectors of things. ✅ that’s me, started with egg cups when I was about 8, then Winnie-the-Pooh, then Minions and now yarn and fibre. Can I part with any of my Pooh Bear or Minion stuff…nope!
- They keep things with the intention to fix them up or the thought they may come in handy. ✅ that’s me too…I dismantled our old sofa and kept all the sponge and pillows and fabric and zips…to be fair I did use a lot in doing up my grandparents old chairs and footstool but why have I kept the rest? Although if I’d thrown it away I wouldn’t have been able to do a matching seat for my spinning chair! But why all the foam???
- They are creative and like to make things and think one day they’ll make something with it. ✅ no surprises here, but on mentioning basket weaving stuff in my stash, I know I won’t make anything really…and what about all the paints I have…acrylic, watercolour and oils, pastels is what I am most drawn to so why am I keeping all the other types, plus the different pallets, brushes, canvases/paper. But what would I make with all the foam?
- They have lost a family member, whether that be through estrangement, death or divorce. ✅ my mum cut me out of her life nearly 3 years ago…uh oh that’s 4 ticks so far.
- They are unemployed, often due to ill health. ✅ I am taking a career break.
- Their parent(s) were prone to hoarding. ✅. My dad’s collection of glass coffee jars filled with rusty nails and screws from my childhood springs to mind. My mum is crafty too, so has her own craft stash.
- Oh and did I mention they also often have previous mental health issues! ✅ I have battled with depression, stress and anxiety in the distant and recent past.