Oh my goodness, what a pickle I got in trying to frog the jumper I mentioned last week. I had done such a good job at weaving in the ends, I couldn’t find them! Plus I forgot which direction I had knit it, so started trying to unravel it in the wrong direction! So the scissors had to come out, a couple of times.
I ripped out and re-started my Northeasterly blanket to change down a needle size. I also wasn’t enjoying the method of increasing stitches, so I started doing fbf, then switched to doing a couple of different methods as I was getting a weird line on one side. I even tried going back to the original increase but there’s no way I will have motivation to knit a whole blanket with fiddly stitches so frequent. The thing is it is quite addictive and I unpicked what fingering weight mitred squares I had made to do a few more tries with other increases and used some homespun yarn too. Any tips for avoiding that ridge on the left side of the middle? I am out of scraps now so it will be parked for a bit.
I did a few rows of Lintilla and a few on Void. I now understand the appeal of having different projects on the go. Lintilla is long easy rows of knitting with occasional ripples to work on, Void requires concentration on every row, Northeasterly is good when you don’t have enough time for long rows of a shawl…and oh my does Void get long…or should that be wide?!
Ready to Cast On
I found a toe up pattern to try for my January socks in the KAL and have chosen a nice local sock yarn, so I will cast on those on Sunday…so hopefully a photo next week.
I had some fun playing with my blending board this week making some more rolags and spinning them on my wheel. (The white balance of the photos on the bobbin is off. We have so few hours of daylight at the moment, it is a challenge to get accurate pictures.) I used some sugar plum merino and mulberry silk blend, with some home dyed mohair and some sari silk waste. The idea being to practice making a tweed type yarn (on my YOP list). I think officially tweed is supposed to have wool flecks, not silk, but I am counting this as a first attempt at tweed.
I made some other rolags on my blending board using the Himilayan custom blend from World of Wool (white merino with sari silk) mixed with some dyed merino wool in greens and deep purples. My husband likes the rolags before they are spun and thinks I need to find some way of doing a picture just using the rolags! I may have a think about it…perhaps a box frame?? Anyhoo, I put my big brave girl pants on and went to the Highland Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers and someone showed me how to do long draw drafting, rather than short forward drafting I have been doing. This method gives you a woolen yarn (softer and warmer) rather than worsted yarn (smooth, hard wearing).
The Guild was very hot and noisy with 40+ women chatting and spinning and I found I can’t do both at the same time! I am pretty happy with my first day doing a new method. I left at 3pm because I was getting sore shoulders, so didn’t manage to finish all the rolags, so it isn’t plied yet. I will finish them this week, ply them and maybe knit them into my northeasterly! Depends on my final length and thickness of the yarn.
No felting this week but I did prep some squares of black Icelandic wool fibre with some sari silk on my blending board. The idea being to test joining the squares together so they form one long rectangle. We will see how that works out and I will post some pictures when it is done.