Hi folks! Another week has whizzed by.
Amy Florence from the Stranded Podcast is doing a Festive sock KAL, so I have ordered some primary colour acid dyes to dye up some Christmas themed sock yarn. I quite like the idea of playing around trying to attempt some self striping yarn maybe!!!
I started making 2 lampshades; a landscape with some mini sheep and a seascape with a hint of beach with some seaweed. I’ll construct them this week and post photos next week.
I also had a bit of a play around with one of my wreaths. I asked, on Facebook and Instagram, whether people thought it should be a photo frame, have a felted picture in it or leave as a wreath. I received some replies to frame a mirror with it! I need to work out where to source or how to cut a circular mirror to see if that is an option.
Other suggestions are welcome.
Last Sunday I did a new swatch for the Such a Winter’s Day jumper by Heidi Kirrmaier with 3.75mm, after the disastrous first attempt at knitting it with 4mm needles (pattern calls for 4.5mm). This is using New Lanark Aran weight yarn in Iris colour. I seem to be pretty much to gauge now on both stitch and row. Here’s a photo of where I’d got to by yesterday afternoon. A little tight on the needles, until I take the arm stitches off.
Top Tip: I have a method for knowing which are increase rows now. I am using plain stitch markers where the raglan lines are and when it is a row that has increases on, I attach a wee seashell progress keeper to the markers. This has helped keep me on track, as it is a 3 row pattern and increases every other row. The fabric is pretty dense but hopefully not too rigid to be comfortable.
I have discovered there’s a shop in Inverness that services sewing machines, so I am going to book mine in. My reverse button sticks for hours once pressed, so when I made my project bag there was a lot of sewing backwards lol!
BritSpin starts on Wednesday, I need to pay my donation to the charity they’ve chosen for this year. I am in the same team as last year, “More enthusiasm than skill”. I should be receiving some fibre from our team’s sponsors. So next week should have a fair bit of spinning to show those who are interested.
I have warped my loom with some cotton/wool yarn that I bought at a destash last weekend. I am just doing a check pattern, but my jumper then distracted me.
I have done too much thinking this week and too much beating myself up for silly things. Perhaps it is the dark mornings and evenings affecting my mood. I do like that it is now cold enough to wear all my knitted items.
Autumn colours are arriving. Check out a very small glimpse of my very large wild strawberry issue in the bottom right square. I started with 4 plants a few years ago…be warned they spread under patio slabs and need almost no organic matter to thrive! I should have tried to tackle them this week when we had some sunny days, but instead I did the crafts above! Hey ho!!!
This is a Year of Projects update. If you would like to find out more about the Year of Projects Group on Ravelry, or you’d like to join in, please follow the link for details. To read what the other members of the YOP Group have been getting up to please click on the latest weekly folder and follow the links to their blog posts. This is a friendly group with a wide mix of skills and crafting interests.