I built the lampshades I felted a week or so ago. One is now in the spare room and the other was going to go to the shop but I wasn’t 100% happy with it, so it’s gone into the sunroom.
My yarn to finish my Fine Sand cardigan arrived. The ‘short’ row section on the back is misleading…these are long short rows lol. I finished casting it off on Friday and there’ll be a separate FO post for it once it is blocked.
My husband’s fingerless gloves made some good progress whilst I was waiting on the jumper yarn to arrive. They are knitting up quite quickly. I’m using a 3mm needle with 4ply/fingering weight yarn. I’m used to using a 2mm needle on socks and the speed of progress difference is quite noticeable.
I think most fingerless gloves I’ve owned only go up to the first joint, but he wants them to have long fingers, so I’m going up to the 2nd finger joints. They should be called fingertip-less gloves.
At Tuesday night’s spinning group meeting (via Zoom) I decided to make a start on my breed project. I used 25g of Polwarth from John Arbon. It was incredibly soft, feels lovely as combed tops. I spun 25g aiming to spin a little thicker than usual. I then wound it on my Andean plying tool (handy Andy) and plied it. In hindsight I overloaded the tool and so my plying was not very even as it kept getting tangled. I have ended up with ~40m of DK/light Worsted weight yarn. I have some more Polwarth fibre so may dye it and try felting it too. Its white so a bit boring to post a photo of.
On Friday I did a little yak & silk spinning on my Traveller wheel. Much prettier!
My Aran weight Wensleydale Longwool yarn arrived so I was able to make a start on weaving the houndstooth fabric, which will be used for making a bag! Fingers crossed. The wool is quite sticky (in weaving terms) so it isn’t ideal for weaving really but I like the teal and fennel colours together and interested to see how it will turn out. I’ve done the fabric for one side of the bag and so just need to weave the same amount for the other side.
In the garden, I chopped back the definitely dead Minion bush and my husband dug it out so I could plant some of the lupins and columbines that had been in our old raised beds. I like the look and now tempted to remove a couple of the other Minion bushes from the opposite side and just leave 2 either side of the step. I did some other pruning and our 2 garden waste bins are totally full which always lowers my pruning mojo as I hate filling the car with garden waste for a trip to the tip, as it always ends up being a car full of spiderwebs next time I get in it.
I finished The Midnight Library by Matt Haig on my way for my 2nd jab. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a book so much. When I get a new Audible credit I shall be getting another of his books.
This is a Year of Projects post. Officially the Group is in its 10th year, but this is my 3rd year participating. If you would like to find more about the Year of Projects Group on Ravelry.