This is probably the most extreme experiment I have done in testing the supposed ‘best before’ dates.
Wholemeal Bread Recipe and their expiry dates:
- Egg (this is within date)
- Clear honey (ok so it needed microwaving to make it clear.) Best before July 2013!!
- Lemon Juice (bottle kept in fridge, didn’t kill us on Pancake Day so should be ok) Best before August 2019
- Wholemeal bread flour (unopened) Best before 23rd July 2018
- White bread flour (didn’t have any so used a bit of plain flour) ok date
- Skimmed milk powder. Best before September 2019.
- Yeast (checked last week it’s alive, it hadn’t been opened before the test). Best before 6th November 2019
- Do you follow best before dates?
- How out of date is too out of date?
- Which ingredient being out of date do you think caused the wonky, dry unmixed looking top?
- Have you done any experiments with food?