Not a huge amount of knitting really, I’m on the heels of my socks and still on the yoke of my cardigan. I have tweaked my YOP list again, changing some yarn choices and re-adding an Aran weight jumper.
On my current YOP list is ‘make a project bag with inside and outside pockets’.
Well I wasn’t ready to dive into making a big bag without first practicing my sewing and sewing my first pockets. Also if I am going to sew a woven top then my sewing skills need to be better so I don’t destroy my woven fabric. So here’s what I made this week.
The fabric is cotton fat quarters, so not strictly thick enough for the bag, so I used some off-cuts from some blackout blind material and sewed them together. If I knew how to make a proper lining that would have been neater, as inside the bag are all the sewn edges showing, but it’s my first go at making a zipped item and outside pockets. I’m surprised the pattern didn’t include a neat lining.
I can’t say I enjoy sewing. The cotton thread waste seems a lot, it kept chewing my fabric and making big knots to rip out, I don’t think I did the zip right at both ends, I sat on my ironed whale fabric so it’s now creased (too lazy to set up the iron again)…but I will keep practicing as I do want to make a handwoven top! Quilt making isn’t in my future I have now decided.
As the days start to get a little lighter for longer I will be more tempted to do some spinning in our sunroom. It’s on the north side of the house, so 🥶 in there when it’s winter and the sun is too low to shine in during the afternoon. But it’s starting to appear in the afternoons.
More procrastination and no weaving. 🤷♀️ I don’t know where my weaving mojo keeps going.
This week our eucalyptus tree came down. I asked them to leave a good amount of the leaves and small branches to give away to Guild members and the lady from Loch Ness Knits, who can use it in natural dyeing. I will keep some branches for pea canes/plant supports and maybe leaves for myself. They can be used even when dry apparently.
I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with how much I want to get done, craft wise and around the house and garden. I feel I am still wasting too much time that I don’t seem to be able to identify where it went! I know I spent 3 hours just staring at my tree being cut, but I was sad to see it go. I’ve said it a thousand times on here, but I really do need to create a schedule that I can stick to! No decluttering this week either. We did replace another of the raised borders.
On Friday nights we are playing one of my husband’s old games and deciding to keep or donate. This week we tried the 1978 edition of Totopoly but the instructions seemed 20 pages long and I lost interest on page 4, so we played his 1974 edition of Conquest.
Conquest is a great game but is no longer available. It’s similar to chess but uses dice! There’s a review from a frustrated player that tells you what it is. I found the review funny although he did make it worse for himself by not following the instructions on only changing direction once. It made me laugh so I’ve shared the link above.
Today is our 13th Wedding Anniversary, time flies! I get my 1st vaccination on Thursday so that’s good.
This is a Year of Projects post. Officially the Group is in its 10th year, but this is my 3rd year participating. If you would like to find more about the Year of Projects Group on Ravelry.